Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
"This delicious vegan recipe can be quickly thrown together from things you probably already have in the kitchen."
1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup of Grandpa Pete’s Marinara Sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the rice and 1 cup water in a pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Place lentils in a pot with the remaining 11/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in the onion and garlic. Mix in tomato, celery, carrots, zucchini, and 1/2 the Grandpa Pete’s Marinara Sauce. Season with 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender.
4. In a casserole dish, mix the rice, lentils, and vegetables. Top with remaining sauce, and sprinkle with remaining basil, oregano, and cumin.
5. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly.